Description: 100k, 50 mile, 50k, Half Marathon, and the Baby Bear 10k Trail Race at beautiful Bear Creek Lake Park, in Lakewood, CO. An excellent race for first time ultramarathoners, runners will experience a variety of challenging terrain and sweeping panoramic views throughout the race. The course is pretty fast (by trail/ultra standards), and not overly technical.
Date: Saturday and Sunday, September 26-27th, 2015
Distances: 100k, 50 mile, 50k, half marathon, and 10k (Ultras on Saturday, Half & 10K on Sunday)
Location: Bear Creek Lake Park, Lakewood, CO
Course Surface: 95% of the course is on soft surface and single track dirt trail.
Fees: A portion of every registration goes toward open space preservation with the City of Lakewood.
- SATURDAY: 6:30am - 100K/50M Start & 7:30am 50k Start
- SUNDAY: 7:00am - Half Marathon Start & 8:00am - 10K Start
Elevation: Approximate elevation gain/change:
- Baby Bear 10k = 230 ft.
- Half Marathon = 900 ft.
- 50k = 1,930 ft.
- 50 mile = 3,400 ft.
- 100k = 4,250 ft.
|Date|||||Avg Low|||||Avg High|||||Record Low|||||Record High|||||Avg Precipitation|||||Avg Snow|
|Sep 28|||||45°|||||68°|||||20° (1985)|||||89° (2010)|||||0.00"|||||NA|
Parking: All runners need to plan to park at Bandimere Speedway where we will shuttle you over to the race start. It is advised that all runners get to Bandimere and be parked and ready to load on the bus NO LESS THAN ONE HOUR prior to their race start. Click HERE for map to runner parking
Runners Will Receive:
- Gender-Specific Technical Race Shirt
- Official Chip Time
- Unlimited High-Resolution Digital Downloads of Race Pictures
- Runner's Roost Drop/Goodie Bag
- Free Parking and Busing to Start/Finish
- Finishers Medal for the 50 mile, 50k, and half marathon. 100k finishers receive a buckle.
- Finish Line Festival
Technical Shirt: Please use the following information to help choose your Mizuno technical shirt size, so that it fits like Goldilocks: "Juuuuuust right!".
Men's Body Measurements (chest):
- 32-34 (XS)
- 35-37 (S)
- 38-40 (M)
- 42-44 (L)
- 45-47 (XL)
- 48-50 (XXL)
Women's Body Measurements (Bust):
- 30-32 (XS)
- 33-35 (S)
- 36-38 (M)
- 39-41 (L)
- 42-43 (XL)
Packet Pickup: Packet pickup will take place at Runners Roost-Lakewood from 11am - 7pm on Friday, and 10am - 6pm on Saturday. Runners can also pick up their race packets at the Start/Finish in Bear Creek Lake Park, the morning of the race starting at 5:30am. There is NO race day registration.
Cup-free Racing: In an effort to minimize trash on the trails, The Bear Chase is a CUP-FREE RACE. We will not provide paper cups for water and electrolyte drink, and all runners will be responsible for carrying their own refillable hand-held bottle or hydration system. With an average distance of only 2.5 miles between each aid station, you'll appreciate not needing to "overload" your bottles with fluids. Paper cups will be provided for soda, however you will be required to throw your cup away before leaving the aid station. Also, following the trail runner mantra of "leave no trace", any runner found intentionally littering on the trail will be disqualified from the race.
- HydraPour: All of our aid stations will be outfitted with the new HydraPour coolers, allowing runners to fill their bottles and HydraPouches quickly. (Check it out at www.HydraPour.com) Each aid station will also be staffed with friendly volunteers to assist you.
- HydraPouch: One option for runners in the Baby Bear 10km to run "light", without a bottle, is the HydraPouch, a soft rubber, hand-held pouch with a clip that will allow you to fill and drink your fluids quickly at each aid station. (Some runners in the Half Marathon may also like this option, however hand-held bottles are recommended for the 50km and 50 Mile.) HydraPouches are now available at Runners Roost-Lakewood, and may also be purchased at www.HydraPouch.com.
Course Cutoff/Limit: There will be a hard cutoff for all ultrarunners at 6:00pm. Any runner who has not started their final lap by 6:00pm will not be allowed to continue. 100K runners missing the hard cutoff will be given credit for a 50M finish, but will be excluded from age group awards. After 6:00pm, we will have rolling cutoffs at each aid station following a 16:45 average pace. The course limit is 15 hours.
|Distance||Final Lap Start||Elapsed Time/Mileage||Finish Line Closes||Course Limit|
|100K||6:00pm||11 hrs & 30 min / 50 miles||9:30pm||15:00|
|50M||6:00pm||11 hrs & 30 min / 37.5 miles||9:30pm||15:00|
Runner Tracking: If you have friends and family who want to follow your progress along the Bear Chase course, here's what they need:
Pacing: 100K runners on their final lap (or after 3:00pm), and 50M runners after 3:00pm will be allowed the assistance of pacing. Runners may only have one pacer at a time and muling (i.e., carrying food/fluids/clothing) is not allowed. All pacers will be required to check in at the Start/Finish prior to pacing.
Crewing: Runners may receive crew assistance at the Start/Finish area. Crewing assistance at other locations on the course will not be allowed. Runners may leave a drop-bag at the Start/Finish, and also may receive crew assistance at the Start/Finish area.
Aid Station Grub:
- First Endurance E.F.S. Drink
- Fig Newtons
- PB&J Sandwiches
Race Hotels: Marriott
The Courtyard Denver Southwest/Lakewood has a special hotel rate for the Bear Chase. Click here or on the Marriott link above for more information and to book your room (but hurry, at these rates we may sell out!).